Sunday, July 01, 2007

The Babysitter: "No Fear"

Just when you thought it was safe to babysit... it turns out that even good kids can be a handful. Look at that face. That's Gloria's mischievous grin. When I see it, I know to keep an eye on her because she will soon be "up to something". She may decide to climb into Kevin's playpen, or decorate our new bathroom cabinets with stickers.

Or, like last night, she may decide to wait until I've tucked her little friend, Anna, into bed and left the room, and then whisper scary stories to her, telling her that we have rats that live in our basement (not true) and that Anna will be the first to be eaten since she's sleeping on an airmat on the floor. Where does she come up with this stuff?!

And you never know what she'll decide to give Kevin. The other day it was some sort of super sticky candy. Today at the pizza buffet after church I walked back to the table from getting a refill on my drink and I find her watching him eat the paper receipt. Once I caught her encouraging him to chew on her toes

I'm glad that our babysitter, Shannon, is young and has lots of energy. She never seems shocked by anything Gloria pulls. I wonder sometimes, considering the things Gloria does when I'm home, what she gets up to when only Shannon is in charge. Maybe it's best if I don't ask.

No comments: