Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Our Only Begotten Son

Kevin is growing up at what seems lightening speeds. Today I looked at him next to his dad and could see the face of the toddler that is about to be here all too soon. I can't help but think that he won't be our only son much longer. Any day now the county will call us and tell us that they are ready to complete the foster/adoption process and we will be meeting our future children and from that point on, Kevin will probably be just one of our sons, instead of our only son.

It makes me wonder how being the only son in our family growing up affected my brother, Shane. I wonder how different Daniel's life would have been if his parents had never adopted his little brother, Ben. I wonder what my life would have been like if I'd had more than one brother sharing our home growing up. Will it change who Kevin is to have 5 or 6 siblings? Will he be different as a person because he'll grow up with the bonds and rivalry inherent in brotherhood instead of being the only brother?

Jesus was God's only begotten son, but the bible says he had younger brothers through Mary and Joseph. Somehow, I think it was a good thing that Jesus wasn't an only child, even though it might not have mattered. I think it will be a good thing for Kevin, too.

No comments: