Friday, October 13, 2006

We're Reading: "My Story" by Rosa Parks

Just another update on our current reading list. We finished "James and the Giant Peach" last week and watched the movie, which was rather disappointing compared to the book. The girls loved the book and wanted to discuss all the amazing things that happened to James and his friends. They didn't like the movie much at all. I didn't realize that the movie was made by Tim Burton whose films I've always disliked. He added things to the movie to make it dark and frightening, and I think they were really a mistake. The book was an exciting read, though. I definitely would recommend it!

Now we've begun reading a new book: "My Story" by Rosa Parks. I wanted a historical biography that was written simply enough that the girls would be able to understand it if I read it out loud. I searched for an hour at the public library before I found this one. I had intended to read about Abraham Lincoln since the girls have heard about him and want to know more. This book touches on similar subject matter and even mentioned Lincoln already in the first couple of chapters. The girls both like the photos of Rosa Parks' life, family, and home. They were shocked that black people would have to sit at the back of the bus or go to separate schools. I think this is going to be a really good book for them because it is meaningful in alot of different ways and is easy to listen to.

No comments: