Thursday, September 13, 2007

Spelling Mix Up

I got an Abeka spelling book recently that I'm going to try incorporating into our lessons. The girls wrote the spelling words which deal with the rule "i before e, except after c, or when sounded like "ay" as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh' " on their easles (which we use like a chalkboard and bulletin board) yesterday. Today they wrote them neatly in their handwriting books.

Then I wrote each word in a different color, spaced out, on a piece of paper. The girls cut the letters apart and then mixed all of them together. Then they raced to see how fast they could reassemble the words. They enjoyed it although they wanted to get competitive to see who could do it faster. I made them do it as a team so there would be no hard feelings, also because Gloria is younger and just doesn't spell as fast. Then I printed out the list of words and taped them to a ziplock bag to store the letters in so that they can keep practicing all week.

2 comments:

April said...

We used Abeka this past year and so often I wished I could think of a way to make so many of there things just a bit more interesting. What you came up with sounds fun!! I will have to try it.
We tried switching curr this year and I'm finding some things I do miss about Abeka.

Kimmie said...

Wow, you are so creative! I love this idea and it might be "the thing" that helps my 8 yo enjoy her spelling.

blessings
Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted
(glad you will get a respite baby to enjoy too!)