Friday, August 25, 2006

A Cookie by any other Name

We got a card in the mail the other day. One of those political ones that urge you to vote for a candidate. On the back was the candidate's favorite cookie recipe...which of course instantly made me want to vote for her, lol.

It did, however, cause me to send Daniel out to pick up the ingredients for those cookies. They were those no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies that are so hard to make correctly.

When I was a little girl we called them "Doo-doo Drops" because of their brown lumpy appearance. As a teenager I made those cookies several times, but they would never harden right so I always just ate it as a sludge straight out of the pan. How on Earth I managed to stay a size 8 I'll never know... Oh, for those high metabolism days!

This time around they sort of hardened, but were still sticky to the touch. It turned out to be a good reinforcement for Danya of the lessons on fractions we've been doing in homeschool lately. She enjoyed helping to measure the oats, milk, and butter. Gloria helped dump and stir. Sadly, the cookies didn't taste all that great. We foolishly listened to Daniel who wanted us to substitute Splenda for real sugar. It just wasn't the same.

No comments: