Friday, July 08, 2005

Young Reader Books

We got a few "new" books to add to our growing collection today while we were out hunting through yard sales! Today we picked up "Pioneer Children of America", "My City", and "Frontiers Old and New". Two of them are full of stories about American history. The books we've collected so far range in age from 1956 to 1966. The older ones are great because they were written before Christianity became outlawed in schools. I can't help thinking how much safer public schools today would be if kids today were still reading from textbooks that teach basic human decency and morals. Some of the stories I looked at tonight were about generosity, being thankful for what you have whether it's little or plenty, courage, determination, compassion. I could go on and on. I also like knowing that these books are not going to have topics I find objectionable in them like so much of what is classified nowadays as appropriate "children's literature". I think that part of being a parent is not just keeping my kids physically safe, but also guarding their hearts and minds. The bible says that we "speak from the overflow of the heart" so I want to make sure that what is filling my kids hearts is worthwhile.