Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Movie Review: War of the Worlds


Daniel and I dropped the kids off at the local drop-in childcare center and went out for a spur of the moment date. We haven't been on a real date for over a month and it was TIME. We saw War of the World's last night. It was amazing! Beginning to end I was on the edge of my seat, absolutely absorbed in the story. Luckily we had the theatre to ourselves because I actually yelled at the screen "Get her! Get Rachel!" before I remembered to just breathe deep and calm down. Several times I had to get control of myself so that I wouldn't burst into tears. I think it was because this little girl could very easily have been MY little girl, Danya. This movie was scary and overwhelming, not a kids' movie, but I was happy to see that it didn't get gory and overly graphic. I'd even consider buying this when it comes out on DVD! Another happy surprise was that the kids' mom was played by Miranda Otto (http://www.lordoftherings.net/film/cast/ca_motto.html). I loved her as Eowyn in The Lord of the Rings! She is just beautiful and is a very good actress, even in a small role like this one. I would recommend this movie completely, but not for young children.

No comments: