Sunday, July 24, 2005

Go, Danya, Go!

Danya read the entire book "Go, Dog, Go" today all by herself! Then she read it to Gloria! We are so proud of her! She is reading better every day. Today we worked again on some vowel clusters. We talked about the letters "ou" saying OW! Gloria will "read" by saying the story as she remembers it and pointing at the words. Danya gets mad and says that's just "copying" what she heard Danya read to her and not really reading. I keep telling her that she used to do the same thing when she was learning to read. It's all about understanding that the words have meaning, learning that we read left to right, and getting excited about the story.
Danya has also learned about different kinds of punctuation. So when she read this book she would excitedly say the lines that ended in an exclamation point. I also taught her today that if the words are in quotations that usually means that someone in the story is saying the words. So she's started looking to see whose mouth is open in the picture. I'm so excited that Danya is reading better. That means that soon she'll be able to take a book and go off and read it on her own. There is a special joy in reading alone, curled up in some quiet out of the way place. I hope she shares my passion for reading. I look forward to discussing books we've read the way I did with my mom when I was a kid.

1 comment:

Kody said...

This was my favorite book as a kid! "Go, Dog. Go!"