Sunday, December 07, 2008

They Keep Growing

It turns out that even if we're not around to see it, other people's kids keep growing. The last time we saw Daniel's brother, Ben, and his family little Nemi was a baby and his sister, Shalom, was still firmly in the toddler stage. I guess I have to admit that a year has passed and my kids weren't the only ones that got older.

Visiting with Ben's family always makes me feel like I wasted all my time studying Spanish in college because I fumble around trying to come up with an intelligible sentence and have to rely on Ben's wife, Diana's much better attempts at speaking English. It's a good thing that Diana is more motivated to learn English and teach it to her kids than I am when it comes to Spanish. I'm hoping that eventually I'll be able to communicate with my niece and nephew, but for now I just smile at them and repeatedly tell Shalom how pretty she is.

No comments: