Sunday, December 07, 2008

How Did I Get Here?

How is it possible that I'm already 31 years old? And how did another birthday get here so quickly? It seems like just yesterday that I was telling Daniel that I couldn't wait until we were older because people would finally treat us like adults. Of course, that was shortly after visiting a dentist for the first time who was shocked to find out that I was only 19 and already married. He pompously told me in an authoritative voice that if I had been HIS daughter he would have grounded me to my room for a few years if I'd even been thinking about marriage at my age.

Well, here I am, finally old enough to be treated like an adult, my opinions respected, and all the adult responsibilities I could possibly want... Somehow I thought it would be more fun and less work, lol. Miss Lady said to me recently, "Mom, you are the busiest pregnant lady I've ever met. When my big sister was pregnant she just laid around the house all day being lazy." I pointed out to her that the difference is that I'm an adult, not living in my parents' home. Unfortunately, that means if something needs doing and I don't do it, it doesn't get done.

For instance, this year I carefully made a list for Daniel of things I'd like for my birthday. I received several of those things, too, although in unusually large sizes. That's okay. He made up for it by handing me cash and dropping me off at Hobby Lobby to browse the scrapbooking section. He and the kids also mixed up some home made cheese cake for me. And each of the older kids made me adorable construction paper book marks since I'm always using random scraps of paper and receipts as book marks. Then we got to work on decorating the house for Christmas and putting up the tree. It was a lot of fun. Now if I could just find my Christmas music CD we'd be all set.

No comments: