Sunday, October 05, 2008

Getting to Know You

On our long walk home Saturday morning we took a scenic walking trail and stopped by a playground. It always amuses me to see my older kids hop right onto the "baby toys" at a playground designed for younger kids. Sometimes they seem to be growing up so quickly. With Brother, on the other hand, I'm treating him more like Kevin. He gets lots of snuggle time, tickles, and silliness. I think he needs some of the interaction that he missed as a toddler.

We're also getting to know our two newest additions a bit, too. I've decided on nicknames for them. Since the younger sister who will be eight in a couple of weeks is so very petite, I'm going to call her Thumbelina. She's actually almost the same size as Snow White, who is two years younger than her. For the older girl, I had a harder time thinking of a nickname.

Friday night when they arrived we took all the kids shoe shopping. We bought 10 pairs of shoes! While we were there a lady walked up to our 12 year old and said, "Excuse me, Miss. Do you work here?" I cracked up, but I have to admit that she does seem older. She wears her hair styled nicely, dresses mature, and wears big silver hoop earings that make her seem like a young lady of about 17 or so. That's why I'm going to call her "Miss Lady".

Miss Lady and I went with a friend of mine from church named Dawn to go see the new movie, Fireproof. It was really good. It started out a little slow, but it got much better by the end. You could hear multiple women in the audience all sniffling. It was a tear jerker, but good. We drove Dawn home afterwards and then I called Daniel that night to say, "I'm in Aurora. If I tell you the address, can you google it and tell me how to get home?" It was a long drive home, but Miss Lady and I got a chance to talk and get to know each other. She says she was very worried that a foster home would be a terrible place. She says she's glad they got a good one.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

So glad things are working out. 12 year olds are harder to get to know than little ones but it sounds like you are off to a great start.
She is really tall.