Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Fazoli's with Friends

My homeschooling friend, Dawn, and her three girls enjoyed craft night at Fazoli's so much last week that they decided to come again this week. We love the company!

Typically we laugh off the socialization issue concerning homeschooling, but sometimes when we suddenly start seeing friends more often than usual it hits us again that we don't spend quite as much time with other kids as we would if our children were in public school. Some people might think that's a bad thing, but for us it's a positive. It really does seem to have a beneficial effect on kids when they don't spend the majority of every day in the constant company of other kids their age. I love the maturity that I'm seeing develop in my girls more each day.

Tonight I was thinking about this when I was walking past the desks in our church which is also a private Christian school. I saw the name tags on the desks... the names of the very same kids who have been constant discipline problems this year in AWANA on Wednesday nights. It reminded me that even if I had enrolled my kids in a Christian school I'd be dealing with the bad behaviors picked up from other kids on a daily basis. I'm thankful that we get to choose the friends that our kids spend most of their time with. Kids like Dawn's three girls who are really kind, compassionate, loving little cutie pies.

No comments: