Sunday, October 09, 2005

Weight Watchers

I joined Weight Watchers last Thursday, October 6th. I've been talking about doing it for a long time, but I was afraid of the cost and the committment. This week I just decided to JUST DO IT like the Nike commercial says. So I looked up a local group online and went. It was so much cheaper than I thought it would be. I'm eating the frozen WW meals that I bought at Walmart Thursday night, and they are really good! Cheap, too. Feeding all 4 of us on them costs under $10 and that's less than we've been spending on take out. Today I found a really great message board for people seriously committed to losing weight via WW. This particular post really hit home for me, so I'd like to share it with you. The author's user name is Mudpies.

The thing I learned 8 years ago was: "No is a complete sentence." I used to say yes to everyone. I over committed myself. The reason of course was that I wanted to please everyone and have everyone like me. What would then happen is that I would get resentful of the person who had asked me to do something. I then would either lie to get out of it or I would do it and feel angry about it. I was so good at being the victim/martyr. I would then feel bad about myself and angry at myself that I couldn't stand up for myself. This lead into a vicious cycle of eating to push down the anger. Which then made me feel even worse about myself and then I would eat again.Then a very special person in my life told me: "Linda, no is a complete sentence." I have learned that when someone asks me to do something I don't have the time or the need to do, I just say no. I don't have to give elaborate excuses or explain why. I can simply say no. I then have time for me. If someone liked me because I said yes all the time, they didn't like the real me. They liked the phony me. I didn't used to have relationships, I took hostages. If I said yes, I expected something in return. Today that is no longer the case. The people who like me today like me for who I am. I like me today because I finally know who I am.When someone offers me food that isn't part of my program, I simply say "no thanks". No other explaination is needed. I have learned that when I say no to someone else,I am saying yes to me. Yes to being healthy. Yes to taking care of me.

Here's a link to the post and the site: Bootcamp Buddies

Wish me luck. My starting weight (SW) is 206. My goal weight (GW) is 140. I'll post updates as I go along at THIS blog Weighing Me Down, not my homeschooling/family blog.

No comments: