Monday, May 19, 2008

What We're Reading Now: Indians and Puritans

We're reading several books right now, but the main ones are Pocahontas and The Strangers and The Witch of Blackbird Pond which is about a girl in Puritan times. The Pocahontas book is the girls' favorite so far. The other one may be a bit advanced for them. We'll see. So far we're only a couple of chapters into the book.

Last week we went to see the new Chronicles of Narnia movie "Prince Caspian" which was really excellent. This week we have begun reading the books together. We went to a book fair two weekends ago where I picked up a couple of copies of some of the Narnia books so that the girls could follow along and read them with me. We're reading Prince Caspian right now. I read it to them a few years ago, but we're all ready to re-read them and refresh our memories.

We also have the old British versions of the books on video tape. My brother gave them to me two Christmases ago. I feel like they were a bit more faithful to the books than these new flashier versions. My one complaint about the new movie is that they made Prince Caspian too old. He should have been closer to Edmund's age. We're definitely going to buy the movie when it comes out on DVD, though.

No comments: