Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Motel "Jo"

When my mom and dad are in town they often stay the night at the Motel 6 because it's inexpensive and they have friends there. When my kids were younger my mom, Granny Jo, convinced them that she owned the hotel and was renaming it after herself. So now every time we see it we say "There's the Motel Jo!"

After Kevin's party Thursday night my dad drove into town really late, so he and my mom decided to stay at the Motel Jo. They invited us to bring the kids to swim the next morning at the motel pool. It always cracks the kids up that my mom will get right in and swim with all her clothes on instead of a swim suit. They all had a great time playing with her and Daniel in the water. I sat on the side in a deck chair talking with my dad and catching up on each other's lives. He works so much that I rarely get to talk to him, even on the phone. My dad really enjoyed Kevin. He was surprised and kept laughing at how well Kevin speaks and the funny things he says.

We stayed long enough for the kids to watch the roadside assistance guy arrive to repair the enormous tire on Dad's work truck. It had gotten a flat the night before. That meant that my parents would be staying an extra night and would get to join us at Daniel's parents house for fireworks. That's the happiest I've ever been to see someone get a flat tire.

No comments: