Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Living With Snow

Although we don't have nearly as much ice to deal with as our family in Oklahoma does, we do have a lot of snow. It's starting to melt, but there are lots of icy patches everywhere. Latte slipped and fell on our front step Monday as we were heading out to meet her mom. The van slides sideways or fish tails almost every time I pull in or out of the driveway.

The day I had available to do the majority of our Christmas shopping last week (Friday, I think) it was dumping snow again. Daniel stayed home with the kids to make gingerbread cookies while I braved the weather. I hate driving in snow. Daniel and the kids love it. He acts like he's some movie stunt driver or Evel Knievel and the kids, even Kevin, are in the back yelling "Wheee!" the whole time. Meanwhile, I'm clenching the seat in a death grip and praying through my gritted teeth. Not fun.

I did manage to get most of the shopping done, though. One gift that arrived in the mail this week is the one that, if absent on Christmas morning, would have left Gloria devastated. She has spoken of pretty much nothing else and Daniel and I could not find it anywhere except online. We are trying to give the kids each 3 main gifts this year like the wise men brought to Jesus when he was a toddler. I think that's a good tradition to start. It really makes us be selective and put more thought into gift giving. Of course, they'll still get lots of litttle things in their stockings, too. After loading all the gifts into the car and then unloading them at home my poor hands were numb. I've also been in charge of shoveling the driveway, sidewalk, and path in front of our house. Maybe I should buy some gloves?

No comments: