Monday, September 24, 2012

Readin' Writin' and 'Rithmatic

 All my friends are talking about getting back into the school routine and "back to school" events, etc.  Since we home school year round, there is not real change for us in September.  The main change is starting Options again in the Fall.  My friends talk about the difficulty of getting their kids to do homework... and I actually understand that.  My kids think school work is a negotiation.  They want me to believe that having their math and reading done should mean they don't have to do other subjects or that doing History means they don't need to do Science.

 Obviously, I disagree.  Then I inform them that this is not a democracy in our home.  It is a "Momtatorship".  I decide how much is enough and which subjects we'll be covering that day.  Maybe we had to do a light day on Thursday because of a doctor's appointment, so Friday will require more work.  Maybe I'm going easy on them on Monday because we are trying to cram in all the Options homework they didn't get done earlier.  What I really hate is when they bring me something they need typed at the last moment on Monday night for an Options class on Tuesday morning.  That's when I whip out my 7th grade art teacher's favorite quote: "Lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on mine."

No comments: