Thursday, September 01, 2011

A Journey of a Thousand Miles

They say that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. In our house it goes more like a family walk to a destination way too far away begins with one crazy mom.

Ever since we moved here a year ago I've been curious to see if we could manage to walk all the way from our house on the 100 block up to our friends' home on 117th. One ridiculously hot morning, on the first day of September, I talked my husband into trying it. We forced... uh, bribed... uh, I mean got our kids excited about going, too.

By the time we made it to 104th we were thinking it might have been a bad idea. As we crossed 110th I knew for a fact that it was a mistake. Don't get me wrong. I did prepare in advance by dropping our second vehicle off at our planned destination, a playground near our friends' house. We only had to make it there, not walk all the way back. But there were a few little details I didn't take into consideration.

There were no side walks most of the trip. We were constantly snatching our more foolish children from the jaws of death at the side of the road as large trucks blew past. There was nothing to look at, so we couldn't even take fun photos along the way. This explains the photo of Gloria crouched down next to one of the only flowers we saw. It was excruciatingly hot and there was no water after we drank the bottles I'd brought. Even worse, there were no bathrooms past 104th. But most importantly, I'd forgotten to check with my friend to see if they'd be home. So there wasn't even anyone to play with once we arrived at the park.

My kids gave our family walk a universal "thumbs down" and made me promise not to suggest this walk again at least until the sidewalks connect all the way.

No comments: