Friday, March 20, 2009

Foot Loose

I went in for a post operative check up on my leg last Monday. Grandma Nancy watched some of the kids and helped some get on the bus while we were gone. The doctor said my leg looks good. Looking at this picture I'm curious to know what bad would have looked like. If you click on the photo, you can see up close the big puckered line that will eventually become the biggest scar I've ever had on my body.

It's hard to imagine that there is a metal plate and screws under there. It was not exactly encouraging when the doctor said that he accidentally used a screw that was too long, but that it "shouldn't bother me" he thinks. We got to see the X-ray and you can actually see the screws sticking through my bones. Daniel thought it was cool. I thought I might throw up.

Next week the doctor will remove the stitches and put a cast on it. Daniel says that the white fuzz still stuck to my foot after they removed the bandaging made it look like I had old man feet. I wonder if he's considered whether getting kicked with a foot with a metal plate in it hurts more.

2 comments:

cami said...

Woah- that is a scary foot! But hopefully a *well* scary foot!

I had surgery on my legs two years ago, both of them. It left really heinous scars on my upper thighs all the way down to my calves. They were raised, purple, terrible. The surgeon recommended using Mederma (I don't know the spelling) but I never got around to it. Even with doing nothing, they look *way* better now. They are no longer raised, they have faded to a light brown (barely noticeable if I have tan) and are no where near the frightening mess I had after the surgery! So take heart- the scars will fade a whole lot over time, and maybe use the Mederma stuff my surgeon talked about.

Oldqueen44 said...

Yep that foot is not loking so good. Good things doctors have a more accurate perspective.