Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Election Day

Well, it's finally over. I'm posting this photo of me at the voting center where Daniel and I went on election day about a week later because it's taken me this long to deal with the melancholy that hit when Obama won the Presidency. It's not that my candidate didn't win, because I've never been ecstatic about McCain (although I really like Palin), but rather that I feel like the election of Obama is a sign that the end times are fast approaching. I was really glad that Pastor Dan put things in perspective for all of us Sunday. He basically told us that God puts rulers in authority:

Romans 13:1-4a "Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good."

He also said that we should ask ourselves whether we are really upset because we know that the changes that are coming will mess up our comfortable lifestyle. He reminded us all that we are not here on this Earth to live comfortable lives and that God never promised us that we would have it easy if we followed Him. Pastor Dan pointed out that what Jesus did promise us was that if we followed Him we would be persecuted. So, this is an opportunity for Christians to show our fellow Americans that we can respect the office and the authority even if we do not agree with the person who holds that position and furthermore, even when we end up suffering from the bad policies implemented.

1 Peter 2:13-17 "Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God. Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king."

We are going to have an unprecedented opportunity in the coming days to witness to unbelievers through our actions and words. I want to live with hopefulness about the coming days, not because they will be good, but because I know I can start watching for signs that my Lord is returning. My prayer is that my family members (sister, parents, brothers, etc.) will see the truth and come to know God as their savior before it's too late.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Pastor is right, we just need to keep on keepin' on. You can witness volumes just by walking on the path the lord has set you on. That is one thing i've noticed is that the more I follow the lord the more i'm watched by people around me.

Oldqueen44 said...

Don't you just love Pastors that speak God's truth and apply it to our every day lives reminding us of who we belong to and where our true reward lies?
I think my Pastor is also doing a great job of helpinfg his flock prepare for difficult times ahead.