Sunday, April 19, 2009

Nine Fine Planets

Thumbelina had her performance at school this week. It was called "Nine Fine Planets" and she had the role of "narrator number 2". She spoke her lines beautifully. She was also dressed beautifully. Some of the other kids showed up in outfits that either looked like some sort of costume (but weren't) or dressed in worn out t-shirts and outgrown clothes.

I'd like to be charitable and assume that they just didn't have anything else to wear, but in truth I think that our society is just getting to the point where no one cares anymore about things like manners, dressing appropriately for occasions, and consideration for others. Even the teachers showed up in tye dye and blue jeans. I hate that it's getting to where nothing is special anymore. My kids try to get away with wearing jeans with holes in the knees to church or mid-rif shirts to school, but we aren't allowing it. We get lots of complaints from our kids, but hopefully they will grow into adults who understand the basics.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord for mom's like you who are teaching the next generation consideration for others. I always have my children dressed appropiately for the occasion.

Anonymous said...

Wow Jess! Alot can happen in 12 years. I have been reading your blog and you certainly have an eventful life. The children are adoreable. Kuddos to you and Daniel for instilling such good values in them. I hope your leg continues to heal quickly.
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Jessie Malone