Friday, August 26, 2011

Love you, too, Kev

Kevin is at such a strange stage right now. One minute he's hugging me and telling me that he loves me, making pictures for me and snuggling with me on the couch. The next he's slamming doors and raging, covering his ears so he doesn't have to listen to teachers and running out the door of the classroom.

He wants to be included with big kids and be allowed to ride further on his bike. He's doing third grade math and reading simple books. But at the same time, he's afraid to be in a classroom without his brother, Shane, by his side. He cries at night telling me that Shane wouldn't play with him on the playground. I know there are some people who would say, "See! This is how homeschooling makes a kid lack social skills."

Fortunately, I have plenty of other successful kids so that I can be sure that I'm raising well adjusted, confident kids. The truth is that some kids are just naturally shy and insecure and younger siblings in big families often become dependent on older siblings always being there. I can see a strong personality in Kevin, so it seems clear to me that in the future he will become a leader. His excellent speaking skills, compassion for others, and quick mind will serve him well. In the meantime, I like to say that Kevin is God's way of keeping me humble. I often get compliments on how great my kids are, so well behaved. Kevin gives me a reality check and reminds me that my heavenly Father is the reason for any good results I see in my children. And He will be the one that deals with Kevin's heart to turn him into the mighty man of God I know he will someday be.

No comments: