Sunday, August 28, 2011

Here I am to Worship

Since joining the praise team a few years ago, worship is very different experience for me. I used to lose myself in the music, with lots of pauses for prayer in between songs whether everyone else was still singing or not. It felt cathartic, releasing my cares to God, relaxing in His presence, renewing my spirit for the week ahead.

Now, instead, I'm counting measures and rests, trying to follow the drummer, and make sure that I'm in tune with the trumpet players sitting next to me. I still sing along when I can and really do enjoy the experience, but it's not the same. For awhile I felt the loss profoundly. Until I realized that church isn't about me getting my once a week connection with God. If I'm walking with God the way I should be, then I'm reading His word, praying, singing worship songs and working on our relationship all week long, not just on Sundays. Sunday is a day for learning and fellowship. Through my participation on the worship team I'm helping fellow believers to draw closer to God and also to each other. I'm creating an atmosphere of worship and lifting up a joyful sound unto the Lord.

Now that my daughter, Danya, is learning trombone, I'm hoping that she will join me on the praise team in a year or two. As for me, I will worship God with my life... not just on Sunday mornings.

No comments: