Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What We're Reading Now:Clues and Little People

We've been following the Cahill kids in "The 39 Clues" but have only made it most of the way through the first book so far. The girls like the story, but I've been making them do the vocabulary words and questions that go along with the story as we read it one chapter at a time. They like the website and are excited about getting to the next book so that we can open the next clue pack. Currently this first book is teaching them lots of information about Benjamin Franklin, which is good since we'll be taking a trip to Philadelphia in a few months.
We just finished reading "The Littles" today. The kids really liked the concept although the boys mostly just looked at the pictures. I'm renting the cartoon show from Netflix for them to watch this week. I'm also planning to have them make a tiny diorama using household items. We've got some extra shoe boxes right now since we just got the girls new boots. I think they're called mukluks.
We didn't quite make it all the way through "Little Men". The reading comprehension level was a bit too advanced for Brianna, but the older girls enjoyed it. We ended up watching a 1940's movie based on the book and the girls really liked it. I'm trying to get them interested in more of the old black and white classic films. We also watched Pride and Prejudice together. I'm addicted to BBC mini series of that genre.
I also picked up a copy of the recently updated version of "Homeschool Your Child for Free" at a Borders book store that's going out of business. Since I only found it on Monday I haven't had much chance to check out the websites yet, but it looks interesting. I'm all about online resources for homeschooling. I've been enjoying my subscription to Enchanted Learning lately. I've printed out several activities and mini books for the kids this week.

1 comment:

Jennifer S. said...

I hear they're going to make a movie of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. ;)

My daughter tore through the 39 Clues books, so I'm happy to hear that they're somewhat educational.