Monday, April 16, 2012

Piano Lessons

Apparently, you can teach an old dog new tricks.  Luke, the trumpet player from our church and our sometimes babysitter, is now teaching me to play the piano on Monday afternoons.  He's only charging me $25 a month, which I think is a good deal.  The idea is that I'll learn to play it and then teach the kids.  I'm picking it up surprisingly fast.  It helps that I already knew how to read trombone music.  He's also teaching me lots of bits of music theory that I never learned in school.  My education consisted of, "Here's a trombone and a book.  Be ready to join the band by next week." back when I was in 8th grade.  Anything else I've learned has been picked up along the way until now.  I'm amazed at how much musical knowledge Luke already has.  He'll be playing in college this Fall.  Thankfully, he's patient and doesn't make me feel bad that someone almost half my age is teaching me.  And he laughs at my jokes, which is what really counts.

No comments: