Saturday, June 25, 2011

VBS DRIVE!

This year, our church's vacation bible school theme was DRIVE!. It was about pushing on to win the race to receive the reward that God has for you if you live a life dedicated to Him. The kids had a fantastic week. On the last day Danya brought her friend Alecia. There were some seriously fun and funny moments. I enjoyed the one on one time with Katie. Since Daniel was working during VBS, I couldn't volunteer because I needed to be available if any of my kids had a problem.

During the day, before VBS, I was working on getting through school work with all the kids. We home school year round, and now with "Boo" and "Junie B." also doing math and reading with us, I've found myself rather busy. I run from one kid to the next trying to help everyone. I've learned that it's best if I tell the older kids to skip something they don't know and come back to it after I'm done working with the younger kids. Otherwise I can't focus on one task long enough to get anything accomplished. It's been slow but steady progress with "Boo", Kevin, and Shane's reading. With Shane especially it's been two steps forward, one step back. He has trouble retaining knowledge that he had a day or sometimes even hours before. "Boo" can read a word correctly three times at the top of a page, but by the time she gets to the bottom, she no longer recognizes the word and has to tackle it as if it were new to her.

Kevin doesn't really have any trouble with the actual reading, but he has a bad attitude and will often refuse to try. Shane gets overwhelmed at the slightest difficulty and breaks into tears and starts whispering his answers. Thank goodness the older girls have gotten to a point where they can work independently with just a little direction. Although, Brianna will often do an entire page of work even though she has no clue what she's reading. She seems to just write random answers and we end up having to erase it and do it all over again when I check her work.

No comments: