Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sunday School Teachers

Daniel and I teach the 3's and 4's class during second service on the second Sunday of every month. We have on average about 20 preschoolers in attendance. They are some of the wildest, loudest, kids I've ever met. Maybe it's something about the freedom of being in a mob of other kids their age who are also all yelling and running around grabbing and discarding toys at lightning speeds.

What I'd really like to know is why kids seem to lose the ability to sit and listen to a read aloud story in direct proportion to their increasing age. My almost 2 year old, Katie, can sit for half an hour handing me book after book, demanding that I continue reading. This class can make it about 20 minutes. But just try getting older kids to sit and listen to someone read out loud. Now, I don't lump my own kids into this category, because I've trained them to enjoy listening to me read from exciting adventure stories. But I've seen it with their friends and with foster kids who seem to have the attention span of a gnat.

Kevin will be graduating out of this classroom in July of 2011. We've asked the children's church director if we can move also to teach one of the classes that our kids are in. With 8 kids, we feel obligated to volunteer to teach, but I'm really looking forward to having an older, hopefully calmer, group.

No comments: