Thursday, January 12, 2012

Commitment

 Danya wanted to learn to play trombone.  I wanted her to go to a local middle school band program so she could learn the basics that I missed when I was a kid.  Since I didn't start band until the 8th grade, I always felt like I missed out on the essential foundational knowledge that has taken me years to learn.

For Danya, that translates into me requiring her to attend a one hour 6th grade band class four days a week, rain or shine, whether it's freezing cold outside or not.  She's had such a good attitude about it over all.  I know she's wanted to quit a few times now because of the interruption in her day and the tedium of class time some days.  But she has stuck with it.  I think mostly for my sake.

I'm so proud of her.  We've enjoyed seeing her performances throughout the year.  She says the next (final) one will be the best because they are playing music from Indiana Jones and Harry Potter movies.  I'm looking forward to the day when she can join me on stage in the church band.  Who knows?  A few more kids down the line I may create my own brass section!

No comments: